Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Apo 70-180/2.8
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 22:15:20 +0100

On 18-11-1998 23:08 David Morton wrote:

>Eric Welch
>
>> I suspect the AF Leica will be with us before not too long. Leica just
>> went
>> public two years ago, so give them some time and we shall see.
>
>I think you're right, and when it arrives everyone will complain
>*bitterly* that it uses a new range of AF lenses, and doesn't emulate the
>dire and unsaleable Contax.

Indeed, my remark when I heard the good (AF) and bad (that it would
require new lenses) news was: "what about the present R customers?". They
seem to realize this is going to be a problem, but there simply is no
other way to have decent AF on a R body. The Contax AX solution is not a
very practical one.
The "old" R lenses (with ROM strip) could most probably be used on an AF
body, but with electronic focus indication only (semi-AF).
Maybe it would help if they propose existing R customers to trade in
their current R lenses for a reasonable price against new AF lenses.
On the other hand, maybe you'd better wait to buy any more R lenses until
the AF is out... That is, if you can wait for another two or four years.

Pascal

See my photo pages at http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/