Subject: [Leica] Stoeckler 2-Bath Processing Method
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 08:21:57 EST

I am trying very hard to refine my black and white exposure/development
process and I ran across a post in Black & White Board
(http://www.greenspun.com) that I don't understand.  I would appreciate some
comments from those LUGGERS that are familiar with this.

I will quote a post from this board:

I like the anon reply to your question expose for the shadows, and over
expose, and under develop.  I run my 400 ASA film at an ISO of 200, and
similarly with 125 at 80.  For my development I use the stoeckler 2 bath
method, which is 4 mins in the first bate (dev) and without a rinse, 4 mins in
the second bath (activator) without agitation, then stop and fix as usual.
When yuou first see the result you will think they ar under developed, but on
inspection you will find all the detail in the shadow and highlight area, and
they are a pleasure to print, usually grade 2 and very littly dodging and
burning in required.

1.	 Is anyone familiar with the "Stoeckler 2 bath method"?    A source
reference or a description of this would be appreciated.

2.	The poster refers to a first developer and then a second bath (activator).
I don't understand the term activator.  Is this the same chemical as the first
developer, only fresh?

3. 	Can any developer be used and are the first and second developer times
split evenly?

4.	Has anyone ever used this process?

I have improved the quality of my Delta 100 and 400 negatives by exposing at
80% of manufacturers recommended ISO and process at 10% less than recommended.
I am currently using Xtol developer.   I am still getting too much contrast
thus requiring that most negatives are printed using a #1 grade filter.  The
above process is interesting to me.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob Bedwell
Greensboro, NC