Subject: [Leica] 80mmf1.4 R Lens
From: Thomas Donovan <75674.3465@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 16:42:46 -0500

Arturo,

>>How is this lens?...had to choose between the 100 f2.8<<
                      >>Macro, 90 f2, & the 80 f1.4.<<

First & foremost, as a objective reference point, get Erwin's
report; "Test report that ends all reports? dated Nov. 14th.
It compares the 80 f1.4 with the 75 f1.4 (M), new 90 f2 apo &
the 100 f2.8 macro. Now onto subjective usage comments.

I've had this lens over a year & have used it under a wide
variety of lighting conditions; from low light to noon-day sun.

This lens is responsible for some of my most "beautiful"
shots. It has a unique "character" in contrast  to some of
the latest lenses from  Leica. Another discussion ;-)!

That "character" ( bear with my subjective terms) seems to
render portraits with a more "lifelike" feeling; i.e., hair is softer,
overall facial tones literally "glow", & the eyes seem more
alive. In addition, the OOF areas, relative to the in-focus areas,
create an almost "impressionstic" background. In essence,
with portraits, slides have an almost "painterly" effect.

Balance & viewfinder brightness with the R8 make this combo
a joy to work with in hand-held work. Needless to say,combined
with the R8's optimal mass & low levels of mirror vibration, body
shake is more the critical path for low light work.

The 80f1.4 is a lens which justifies its ownership for handheld
portrait work in difficult light. Buying the 100 f2.8 or the current 90
 f2 would be for reasons other than discussed!

My opinion ;-)!

TomD.