Subject: Re: [Leica] auto vs. manual
From: Ben Ho ^_^ <longjohn@netvigator.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 12:36:43 +0800

Hello Gary,

First of all, let me say that I am just a amateur that loves taking photos.

I have been using both Leica R and Canon EOS for quite some time.  Just
wanna share with you my experience.

1.    Comparing to my own focusing speed.  AF is definitely faster.  If I
need to shoot sports, I will go into AF.

2.    False focusing - Generally (not always), this can be avoided when
being done carefully.  However, pls note that in low light situation and if
the subject you are taking is not contrasy, the AF may not work.  (Some
camera have suppliment red lights for focusing but they are really
annoying.)    Then you have to switch to manual focus.  Usually AF camera
has dimmer finder which makes it more difficult to focus manually.

In actual usuage, I tend to be sloppy (less serious) when I use AF camera.
I think it is too easy and fast for me.  I end up think less.  Of course,
the picture will only be so so.  However, when I use my manual camera, I
become more aware of what I want to do.  Therefore I get better pictures.
As a result, I use my AF as a big point to shoot for casual events.  The
difference in AF and manual to me has more to do with my poor discipline.

Hope this help.