Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Ads/image
From: AJSymi@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 11:02:22 EST

I have reading this thread the last few days and must submit my comments:

1.  The latest ads for Leica (2) in Forbes FYI are quite nice ads.  Smallish,
but certainly appealing to the advanced amateur or "serious" photographer.  I
were a Nikon or Canon man, the ad would peak my interest and I would at least
go to the camera shop and look at them or call Leica for a brochure.  Ads
aren't necessarily to induce a purchase, but to make the phone ring or get the
person to the counter.  It's up to Leica's network of dealers to "close the
deal" (and believe me, I know a Leica shop that can bring almost anyone into
the fold inside of an hour!).

2.  Leica's target market has got to be the serious amateur.  A thread here a
couple of weeks ago mentioned the support network that Canon/Nikon has for its
working pros and the fact that the equipment can be purchased or rented in
almost any town.  Now if could fulfill my dream of being a photojournalist, I
would use N or C equipment, especially if my deadlines were in the 2 to 48
hour range.  If I shot for Nat Geo and had 4 to 6 months to complete my
assignment, then I could afford to shoot Leica without the fear of emergency
equipment repairs or rented items being available.

But as a serious amature/hobbyist, I have time for the best (when I have time
to shoot!).

My $.02
Cheers,
Arturo