Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Ads/image
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 18:00:10 -0600

>Now if could fulfill my dream of being a photojournalist, I
>would use N or C equipment, especially if my deadlines were in the 2 to 48
>hour range.  If I shot for Nat Geo and had 4 to 6 months to complete my
>assignment, then I could afford to shoot Leica without the fear of emergency
>equipment repairs or rented items being available.

Two things.

First, Leica usually fixes cameras as fast, or faster, than Nikon or Canon.
Even for pros. I've seen it time and time again. The only difference is,
I'm not sure Leica loans anything any more. Once they loaned me an RE when
my R4 was in the shop. If they were smart, they'd do the same with some
basic lenses and bodies. Nothing exotic needed. Just something to do the job.

Second, National Geographic assignments aren't that long most of the time
any more. They're trying to keep them to 4-6 weeks. Which I think shows in
the quality of the images in the magazine now. (And I'm not talking
reproduction). They're still great. Don't get me wrong, but even the best
(Allard, Abel, etc.) seem to not be getting the time they had in the past.
Too bad. Bean counters are the bane of quality.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

"I say, play your own way. Don't play what the public wants. You play what
you want and let the public pick up on what you're doing - even if it does
take them fifteen, twenty years."
- -- Thelonious Monk