Subject: Re: [Leica] Building a Leica system
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 17:49:05 -0600

>I want to ask the LUG users if my choice of Leica lenses good? If not, why?
>Suggestions for a better selection?

My guess is that if you are going to build around the 50 Summicron, you
might want to consider the 28 Elmarit instead, to give you more range. But
that's up to you.

The 35 Summicron that goes back to 1980 I believe is the same lens. No
changes. It's a fantastic lens, great flare control. Light and fast to use.
I've seen them for as low as around $700 or somewhat more for Mint.

If you're going to get the 90 and 180, you probably don't really need the
135 Elmarit, but it's an inexpensive lens. It's what I started with when I
bought my first Leica. But once I got a 180, the 135 was pretty much
useless to me. At least, I didn't want to carry it as well, it's quite a
heavy lens for it's focal length.

Whatever you decide to do, it will be fun. Good luck! If you can take your
time, you'll probably run into some good deals.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

"I say, play your own way. Don't play what the public wants. You play what
you want and let the public pick up on what you're doing - even if it does
take them fifteen, twenty years."
- -- Thelonious Monk