Subject: [Leica] Building a Leica system
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 21:16:11 -0500

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Sattha wrote:

<SNIP>
>I am looking at building a system around a Leica RE and a 50mm Summicron
>lens I recently acquired. I want to buy all used and is currently
>considering adding the 35mm f2, 90mm f2, 180mm f3.4 apo-telyt and maybe
the
>135mm f2.8. I do not know what to get for a second body so I am open to
>suggestion.

<SNIP>
>I want to ask the LUG users if my choice of Leica lenses good? If not,
why?
>Suggestions for a better selection?
>
>I hear there are several versions of the 35mm Summicron. How many are
there
>actually and how is the quality between them? How is the used prices
>affected by each version?

<SNIP>
>I want to make sure I do not buy something I will regret later.

Sattha,

The really cool thing about Leica R lenses is that there are no crummy
lenses.  We'll be better able to make suggestions if you can tell us what
you want to do with your Leica R system.  Is light weight a priority?
Close focus?  Dim light?

As for the 35mm Summicron-R, as far as I know two versions have been made.
The old version is quite large, was made in Canada, and uses Series VII
filters.  The current version is made in Germany, uses 55mm filters and is
somewhat smaller.  Either lens performs exceptionally well, with
well-controlled flare, and excellent definition and contrast.  The current
version sells for about $700 used while the old version's cost is about
$500.  The price difference is mostly due to the old version's larger size
and weight.

I hope this helps.

Doug Herr
Sacramento