Subject: Re: [Leica] Need help: R7 and flash
From: HFHUBER@t-online.de (HFHUBER)
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 07:53:53 +0100

Bonjour Francois,

R7 and SB23 works in manual flash mode only. You have to use the aperture for
the desired distance with the classic formula "f(aperture)=GN/mtr(distance)" for
film speed ISO 100. As far as I know has the SB23 a GN of 20 (calculated by
35mm) and you can use it for 35mm lenses and greater. There must be also a table
with distances and apertures on the top of the SB23. TTL works with the specific
Nikon gear only.

If the R7 shows in T or P the bars for fill-in flash, then this will be not
valid. You can use the R7 in combo with the SB23 in A or M only. If you use it
in A mode the distance talbe or formula is still valid for your pre-selected
aperture.

For a better control itīs commendable to use the R7 in M mode. Here you can use
it with any shutter speed up to 1/100 and you can control with the
aperture/shutter speed combination the background light and with the distance of
the aperture and flash combination the distance area, in that the SB23 works.

In other words, you set your aperture/shutter speed (within the sync-speed)
combination in order to your desired background effects and control the flash
distance for this aperture in order to the foreground. This works perfect.

Good luck,
regards, Hans-Ferdinand
HFHUBER@t-online.de