Subject: RE: [Leica] 15mm: Leica vs Zeiss versions
From: Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 12:37:51 -0000

Bob,
I never knew the 15mm Pentax was made in screw mount, I have had the bayonet
mount version for which I had a adapter made to fit it on the M Leica.
That lens got stolen (though I still have the adapter! Offers?) and I found
as a replacement an already modified Pentax 15mm lens converted to Leica-R
mount!
Marc's correspondence a while back on the liason between Zeiss and Pentax
(primarily for multi-coating research I believe) made me wonder whether they
had shared design of this lens too, he didn't think they had and the details
that follow seem to suggest different end products too.
The lens design however looks very similar in the drawings I have (from
contemporary catalogues) though I'm sure that there is much more of a
difference to be made by the attention to detail given in the manufacturing
process.

Jem

15mm /3.5 Distagon (for Contax SLR)
A sensational ultra wide angle lens that is highly effective for
accentuating perspective for strong spatial impressions. Marginal
illumination is unbelievably good when slightly stopped down.
Lens composition:	13 elements, 12 groups. Correction of aberration at
close range with floating element.
Angular field:	110 degrees
Min focus:	6 inches
Aperture range:	f3.5-22
F.A.D.
Built in filters:	UV, Or57, Y50, B11
Built in lens hood
Lens cap:	83.5mm slip-on.
Size:		83.5mm x 94mm
Weight:	815g

(Same lens for the Rollei SL35M)
Length: 	104mm
Diameter:	84mm
Weight:	760g

SMC Pentax 15mm f3.5
Ultra wide angle lens with 111 degrees diagonal field of view. All traces of
distortion, even at the edges, have been virtually eliminated, because of
its unique optical design. Four built in filters.
Lens composition:	13 elements, 12 groups.
Angular field:	111 degrees
Min focus:	12 inches
Aperture range:	f3.5-22
F.A.D.
Built in filters:	UV, Skylight, Y2 and O2
Built in lens hood
Lens cap:	83.5mm slip-on.
Size:		80mm x 81.5mm
Weight:	600g
(Another, later, brochure lists the weight as 550g)