Subject: RE:Plastic Leica? - was [Leica] Duff email programs -
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 23:09:44 +0000

Tim Atherton wrote:

>The Holga is the perfect camera - a plastic $14.95 "Leica" that takes 120
>film...

It must be the _only_ "Leica" that takes 120. Where is this amazing
engineering feat manufactured?

>Actually, they can be fun. The Bokeh is off the scale (I won't say in which
>direction!).

You mean, very approximately, that the subject is out of focus, the
background is sharp, and the 'bokeh' is mega 3D?

>You also have to know where to apply gaffer tape to stop the
>light leaks.

That's easy - you tape the lens.

>You get 2 shutter speeds and zone focusing. But they do help us
>remember that photography is about seeing, not just equipment.

Presumably that's 'B' and 'ahelluvalot'. And yes, millions of Kodak Brownie
owners can't be wrong.

>Actually, I have seen b&w pictures of Cuba taken with a Holga that were
>better than an awful lot of pictures taken with systems that cost a hell of
>a lot more than 14.95.

Why Cuba? But I take your point. It's amazing what you can do with the
business end of a Coke bottle.....<g>

>(and yes, I must admit to owning a Holga - though that may get me
>excommunicated from the LUG!)

Well that makes two of you. Anyone else want to confess?

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst
Waterfall