Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica's Development and Management
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 17:29:22 +0000

Arturo writes:
>What I can't understand is how
>Minolta and Pentax compete with Canon and Nikon!!!

In the case of Pentax, by manufacturing medium-range SLRs (ZX5 and
variants) that are technically equivalent to, and ergonomically better
than, the Nikons or Canons at the same price points. The ZX5 is a
really,really nice camera. And most folks will never need or even
want a 300/2.8 USM or a body optimized for such lenses. for them
the Pentax is an excellent solution. Besides, the Pentax lens line
is very good. It's not as consistent as Zeiss or Leica, but neither
is Canon or Nikon. I still use an old SMC 100/4 macro regularly
and get more than adequate results with it. Oh, and the Pentax lens
line offers substantially better backward compatibility than Nikon
or Canon, and compatibility with the very underrated and well-priced
Ricoh bodies.

I still use a 17 year-old Ricoh KR5 with a Pentax 50/1.7 as a backup
and 'dangerous duty' camera, sometimes in combination with Steff's
Nikonos. I've beaten that camera to hell, dropped it, used it in
downpours, gotten it muddy and dusty and wiped it off, never CLA'd it,
and it still works flawlessly. I wouldn't mind a bit if my SLR outfit
were entirely Pentax rather than predominantly Nikon.

If one is not a competitive pro working sports or nature beats, there
are plenty of very competent non-N/C SLRs to choose from, IMO.

I assume there are great reasons for using Minolta, too. Tina?

- -Alexey

ps- at the moment, I find myself wondering why anyone woould *want* to
use an SLR in the 21-75 mm focal length range, but I'm blinded my
infatuation with my still-new M6.85 and the wonderful, fabulous,
can't-say-too-many-good things-about-it 50mm Summicron-M. Curiously,
the rangefinder's biggest influence has been to redefine how I think
about, and use, depth of field. What a wonderful tool is the Leica-M!
Alexey Merz | URL: http://www.webcom.com/alexey | email: alexey@webcom.com