Subject: Re: [Leica] Best photography books
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 23:29:53 -0300

At 01:19 PM 29/11/98 -0800, you wrote:

>On a parallel track, if there are Luggers out there with books in
>publication (we've heard about two in the last month or so), I'd love to
>hear about them as well.
>
>Thoughts?
>
>Kevin Hoffberg

        WELL, Kevin...since you asked.
I will succumb to shameless self promotion. Here are the two books I
currently have in print.

Touched By Fire: doctors without borders in a third world crisis.
McClelland and Stewart Canada
ISBN # 0-7710-5305-3
By Elliott Leyton and Greg Locke

        Its about the French medical aid agency Medecins Sans Frontieres/MSF
(or Doctors Without Borders.) and their roll in the Rwandan genocide and
refugee crises of recent years. I spent 3 months in Rwanda, Zaire, Kenya and
Somalia working on this one.

Hardcover, 212 pages 70 photographs

        I have a few pictures on my website from the book.
Got to http://www.straylight.ca/locke/projects.htm  and follow the links for
An Africa Story.  This page is a little slow if you are using a dial up
connection.

Book is listed with Amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com or you can order
through you local book store with the ISBN#.

ALSO:

HIBERNIA: promise of rock and sea.
Break Water Books.
ISBN # 1-55081-130-4

        A "coffee table" book about the building of the worlds largest
offshore oil production platform...which is now working on the Grand Banks
of Newfoundland. 300 nautical miles from St. John's in the North Atlantic.
        This was a 5 year documentary project sponsored by the owner oil
companies. 208 pages, 8.5 X 11 inches, over 300 photos. Colour by Greg
Locke, Black and White portraiture by Ned Pratt, Edited by Lara Maynard.
Again, there are a few shots from this book on the Projects page of my website.
Follow the HIBERNIA links.

Listed with amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com or order through your local book
store using the ISBN #.

OR: directly from
Break Water Books.
100 Water St.
PO Box 2188
St. John's, Newfoundland
Canada A1C 6E6
Tel: 709-722-6680 Fax: 709-753-0708
TOLL FREE (US and CANADA) 1-800-563-3333

WEBSITE: (not very good bu has some info)
http://www.netfx.ca/breakwater/

sorry for being so crass,

Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
St. John's, Newfoundland.
<http://www.straylight.ca/locke/>
"I've finally figured out what's wrong with photography.
It's a one-eyed man looking through a little 'ole.
Now, how much reality can there be in that?" -- David Hockney