Subject: [Leica] Gunter Osterloh "Leica M, the Advanced School of Photography" & B ookbinding
From: Jeffrey Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 07:48:54 -0500

In addition to being a photographer, I am trained as a hand bookbinder.  The
short answer is yes, rebinding would reduce the value.  Also, a good
rebinding will not be cheap (think in terms of more than a hundred dollars)
and a cheap rebinding will not provide you with a useable book.  A book
collector will try to keep the book in as close to original condition as
possible which can include some repairs, but certainly not rebinding.  One
option is to have a simple "fall-back" box made to hold the book and avert
further deterioration.  Another option is to preserve your best copy and buy
a beat up and falling apart copy for reference.  If you want a valuable
book, you can have a "designer binder" make you a beautiful leather bound
book with gold tooling and leather on-lays, however, in that case $1,500 of
the value of the book would be in the $1,750 you put out for the job.

Are you a book user or a book collector?  A user will enjoy the book and
have it expertly repaired so that she or he can continue to enjoy it.  The
collector will be more interested in the books value and appearance than its
contents and will preserve the book at all costs and trade up for better
copies.  Sound familiar and on-topic?

If you are truly interested in rebinding and don't know much about the book
arts, let me know and I can provide more detailed advice.  In conclusion, I
can say that this is a notoriously poorly bound volume and some loose pages
probably will not reduce the value too much.

		Buzz Hausner