Subject: Re: [Leica] The joy of tripods
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 16:24:47 -0600

Nigel B Watson wrote:

> Guaging from tripod-mounted comparisons of my 135/4 in the focussing
> mount on a Viso II (tripod secured to the mirror box) vs. the lens
> mounted to the body but cantilevered off the M's offset tripod bush, it
> is a pity Leica did not revert to putting the tripod bush on the 135's
> lens barrel.

I share this view, and am delighted to have a tripod bushing on both my
90/2 and 135/2.8 lenses (the 90 is a really old one.)  I've tried using
both with the camera attached to a tripod by the baseplate, but the
resulting assembly is VERY insecure.  The baseplate connection is simply
not designed to handle that long and heavy a lever on the front of the
camera, and the whole thing tips front to back pretty badly.  I've put
RRS plates on both lenses (as well as the M6) and it makes for a very
solid setup which is very quick to put on or take off the tripod.  I
need a support for most of the low light work I do with these lenses at
the moment (theater stuff) and so would be most reluctant to upgrade to
newer lenses despite their apparently superior performance.

Cheers,
Kip