Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: sneak thief photographers! (long)
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 22:06:03 -0800

Joe Stephenson wrote:

> I now feel uncomfortable taking pictures of "street people," the "homeless"
> and other individuals. I can't explain it well, or at least not briefly,
> why, but somehow I feel like I'm imposing or otherwise intruding.

Joe,
I can understand your feelings.  Each of us has to work where we are
comfortable, or work through discomfort if we find that important.  But
if we eliminated "street" photography and other documentary work where
we don't necessarily have the permission of the subjects (something
Leicas are famous for doing) much of the photographic history of the
last 100 years would not exist.  This is where in the US there is a
history of freedom of speech leading, one can always hope, to a more
enlightened public.  We do have recorded history with many photos the
subjects I am sure would rather not have been published, but there they
are, and we are better for it, in the greater view.  Sure, sometimes
peoples' privacy is invaded.  Also sure, sometimes things are brought to
the public view that need that exposure.

I am preaching to the choir here, probably, but I think we have often
taken this public privacy issue to far.  Simply put, if you are in
public, you have, and should not expect to have, any privacy.  As
photographers, we can do such reportage with sensitivity, honesty
(things in context, for instance), non-judgementalness.

Think of all the great, iconic, historically important photographs that
we simply would not have if photographers had been fearful of exploiting
people.

Sabastiao Salgado has been criticized for "prettifying" hard
conditions.  From another vantage point, he has been celebrated for
preserving the dignity of the people he documents.  If you keep his
sensibilities in mind, I think you could not go far wrong photographing
people under any conditions.

donal
- --
Donal Philby