Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: sneak thief photographers! (long)
From: "Joe Stephenson" <joeleica@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 18:02:20 -0700

[cut]
So, any opinions? Was I wrong to take his photo unknowingly at first from
the hip
so to say. Although it ended up being more humorous, it could have been an
important shot in an serious story on a down and out homeless man.
Regards
Jim Hurtubise
=========
Dear Jim,
There are many answers to your question: legal, political, moral, copywrite,
etc. I think we all have to consider it when taking photos of people. I used
to take pictures that I would not dream of taking today because I now feel
it is inappropriate to take pictures of clients unless there is a direct
reason and the client is able to give informed, written consent.
I now feel uncomfortable taking pictures of "street people," the "homeless"
and other individuals. I can't explain it well, or at least not briefly,
why, but somehow I feel like I'm imposing or otherwise intruding. I find it
far more fruitful photographiclly to spend time with subjects and get them
involved in the process of making an image.
My own attitudes have changed so much that I would be very reluctant to
advise anyone. My only advice would be to give the subject plenty of thought
and consideration before deciding on how you want to work.
Sincerely,
Joe Stephenson