Subject: Re: [Leica] was:news photos on private property, now: confronted by police.
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 17:55:56 -0800

James Harrison wrote:

>I shot a KKK rally a few years ago...Skinheads; tatooes; etc;;;several got
>arrested;;;I gave my prints to a US Marshall that I have worked with over 20
>years;;he passed them around to the Feds.  Next time he saw me he said "
>great work;;;you photographed all our undercover agents also!!"..>>>>>>>>

Hi Jim,

On a similar note from the mid '50s when i worked for an Ottawa newspaper,
we all used speed graphics in those days, ( Leica's and Rollifex's were
considered "toys" by the darkroom staff and they wouldn't touch any "toy
negatives")

Whenever we had " assignments at the Soviet embassy for the social section,
big holidays where the Soviets threw lavish parties we were "off handly"
told make sure you get lots of crowd pictures they like to see lots of
people attending their functions.

Old innocents here, absolutely clueless, (OK no smart ass remarks) would
knock off a bunch of the Soviet ambassador and groupies with lots of folks
in behind. As well as a few overall.

About 20 years later I was working on an assignment with the RCMP and found
out that each morning after the Soviet receptions the monties came by the
office and picked-up the negatives. They printed and recorded any folks
that attended whom they thought shouldn't be there or were surprised at who
were there.

It was a strange feeling twenty years later finding out you were a spy of
sorts in your own country! :)

Jeeeesh I hope none of those old time KGB guys aren't still around. :)

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant