Subject: [Leica] Re: your opinion about G2
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 10:46:24 -0600

They think of them as expensive P&S cameras. And they too say that the RF
sucks! The Ziess lenses are great, but the choice is limited. And the RF
base is more like a CL than a real M camera. Ok for wide lenses, or 90mm
lenses at f/4 or smaller.
<<<<<<<<<<

I find the G2 finder preferable for the 28 mm lens -- as an eyeglass
wearer, I can see the entire frame, something I can't with an M6 and more
important to me than the M's admitedly bigger, brighter image -- and with
the 90 mm lens -- with the G's zoom finder, the 90 mm image seems bigger to
me than with the M6's framelines (though I've not comapred the M6HM). Also,
with the autofocus spot specified in the G's 21 mm finder, you don't need
to shift your eye between auxilary finder and camera viewfinder, which I
find quicker and easier in use.

The M6's finder, on the other hand, is clearly superior with 35 and 45/50
mm lenses. And with 24, 75 and 135 mm lenses, all focal lengths the G
system lacks. And anything faster than f/2, also a G system deficiency.

While I have heard many complaints of focus problems with the 90 mm G lens,
I can honestly say that in 2+ years of use, mostly wide open, I only got
two unfocused photos with mine.

And the way I'll use these cameras -- always handheld -- I wouldn't
hesitate to put photos made with the 21, 28, 45 and 90 mm Zeiss lenses up
against their M equivalents.

The M6 system is clearly far more versatile, given its much broader range
of lenses. But the G system has its strengths and, to me, a few advantages.

Larry