Subject: [Leica] Re: your opinion about G2
From: n.b.watson@juno.com (Nigel B Watson)
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 15:01:53 EST

Perhaps this is because Leica-M have a proven record for collectibility,
durability, and near-non-obsolesence (in that order).  No one can predict
if a G2 bought second-hand today will still be functional or repairable
ten or even five years hence; and it is a better wager than not, that it
will *not* become a coveted collector's item (except perhaps for the
boxed anniversary set or the all-black set).   Part of the blame may rest
with camera dealers who push the G2 on hobbyists with more money than
photography expertise.  I know several people who were sold the G1/G2
because it was an "automatic" camera.  Of course, having no knowledge
about DOF and its relation to aperture,  with the G's faster lenses
(particularly the 90) most of their snaps were horribly soft and they
ended up trading the G in.  By counterpoint, these people would never
have had such an experience with the Leica, for its lack of any
automation would have disuaded them from purchasing it in the first
place.  As to resale value, though, in all fairness a Leica bought new
and traded back to a dealer within a couple of years (the time the G2 has
been in production) is also going to "take a hit" of no small magnitude.

Regards,
Nigel

On Sat, 05 Dec 1998 10:34:54 -0800 Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> writes:
 the G owner is completely blown
>away
>when they discover that their G camera is basically worthless on the
>used
>market. Worthless when compared to what they paid for it as new
>equipment.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]