Subject: Re: [Leica] If it ain't broke, why fix it? and Modern aircraft
From: "Joe Stephenson" <joeleica@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 11:03:51 -0700

- ------=_NextPart_000_004E_01BE2363.9AA6A6E0

That's the philosophy which the aerospace industry now uses. Jet
engines used to be stripped down and "CLA'd" at regular intervals, but
as they become more reliable, the point was reached where assembly
errors in post-stripdown rebuilds became a significant cause of
subsequent problems. So today's engines are left on the wing for as
long as they keep "turning and burning".

+++++++++++++
Dear Doug,
It's true that modern jet engines are not disassembled for inspection as =
frequently as in the past, but engine condition and performance is =
monitored very closely and provides the needed info to provide for =
on-going assessment of engine conditon. Our cameras lack this type of =
instrumentation and my thus benefit from regular CLA's. I should add =
that I am not consistent. So far as I know, my M3 has never been opened. =
It's probably about time.
Sincerely,
Joe Stephenson

- ------=_NextPart_000_004E_01BE2363.9AA6A6E0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>That's the philosophy which the aerospace industry now uses. =
Jet<BR>engines=20
used to be stripped down and &quot;CLA'd&quot; at regular intervals, =
but<BR>as=20
they become more reliable, the point was reached where =
assembly<BR>errors in=20
post-stripdown rebuilds became a significant cause of<BR>subsequent =
problems. So=20
today's engines are left on the wing for as<BR>long as they keep =
&quot;turning=20
and burning&quot;.<BR>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3D"Bookman Old =
Style">+++++++++++++</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3D"Bookman Old Style">Dear =
Doug,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3D"Bookman Old Style">It's true that =
modern jet=20
engines are not disassembled for inspection as frequently as in the =
past, but=20
engine condition and performance is monitored very closely and provides =
the=20
needed info to provide for on-going assessment of engine conditon. Our =
cameras=20
lack this type of instrumentation and my thus benefit from regular =
CLA's. I=20
should add that I am not consistent. So far as I know, my M3 has never =
been=20
opened. It's probably about time.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3D"Bookman Old =
Style">Sincerely,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3D"Bookman Old Style">Joe=20
Stephenson</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_004E_01BE2363.9AA6A6E0--