Subject: [Leica] Re: Contax & Leica
From: drodgers@nextlink.net
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 17:32:11 -0800

Martin

>>So, could those of you who have *experience* of Leica R, Canon FD and/or
Contax please comment on the optical and mechanical properties of these
systems<<

I have an extensive Contax SLR system. I have a limited Leica R system (SL
body and 3 lenses). I used Nikon for a number of years.

Leica or Contax is a difficult choice. I'd think twice about moving into a
Canon FD system. Good values but no future.

Leica lenses are mechanically the best. Some Contax lenses, like the
35/1.4, meet or come close. I'm no repairman. I just base that judgement on
feel. I've never had a problem with a Contax lens. I've had some problems
with M lenses, but mainly due to use. I'm harder on rangefinders than SLRs.

I think very highly of Zeiss and Leica multicoating. I'm puzzled by the
fact that my 50/2 Summicron R is prone to flare. Maybe it's an abberation,
but I can't shoot my 50 Summicron R into a strong light source. Even my
28/2 Contax Distagon is incredibly resistant to flare. I've shot it
directly into the sun on more than one occasion without a hint of ghosting.
That's amazing for a fast wide angle. I've never had a problem with my M
lenses being prone to flare.

I don't think there's a "bad" lens in either line, zoom or prime. I wonder
sometimes about the future of Contax 35mm SLRs. Kyocera could obviously
match Leica if they wanted to. Not much new lately. Except for the Aria and
the 28-70/3.5. BTW, I just bought that lens. It's my only zoom. Very
versatile. Excellent lens. I'm sure Contax devoted much R&D to the new
Contax 645. Leica, OTOH, has some exciting new offerings.

Contax has more bodies from which to choose. The focus assist on the RX is
very useful feature. I'm surprised that it isn't offered on more Contax
bodies, or that Leica doesn't incorporate something similar into their
bodies. I like the RTSIII, and I like the R 6.2. Too bad they don't both
have the same mount.

The Contax 50/1.4 Planar and the 501/4 Summilux R offer a microcosm of the
two lens lines. Compare cost, mechanics, and performance. They both have
outstanding reputations.

Dave