Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Contax & Leica
From: Jack Bowdle <jbowdle@redbrick.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 18:22:03 -0800

You're the second one I've heard talking about the new Contax 645.  Do you have any more details on that camera?  Web site?  Announcement date?

Thanks,

jb

At 05:32 PM 12/9/98 -0800, you wrote:

>Martin

>>>So, could those of you who have *experience* of Leica R, Canon FD and/or

>Contax please comment on the optical and mechanical properties of these

>systems<<<<

>I have an extensive Contax SLR system. I have a limited Leica R system (SL

>body and 3 lenses). I used Nikon for a number of years.

>Leica or Contax is a difficult choice. I'd think twice about moving into a

>Canon FD system. Good values but no future.

>Leica lenses are mechanically the best. Some Contax lenses, like the

>35/1.4, meet or come close. I'm no repairman. I just base that judgement on

>feel. I've never had a problem with a Contax lens. I've had some problems

>with M lenses, but mainly due to use. I'm harder on rangefinders than SLRs.

>I think very highly of Zeiss and Leica multicoating. I'm puzzled by the

>fact that my 50/2 Summicron R is prone to flare. Maybe it's an abberation,

>but I can't shoot my 50 Summicron R into a strong light source. Even my

>28/2 Contax Distagon is incredibly resistant to flare. I've shot it

>directly into the sun on more than one occasion without a hint of ghosting.

>That's amazing for a fast wide angle. I've never had a problem with my M

>lenses being prone to flare.

>I don't think there's a "bad" lens in either line, zoom or prime. I wonder

>sometimes about the future of Contax 35mm SLRs. Kyocera could obviously

>match Leica if they wanted to. Not much new lately. Except for the Aria and

>the 28-70/3.5. BTW, I just bought that lens. It's my only zoom. Very

>versatile. Excellent lens. I'm sure Contax devoted much R&D to the new

>Contax 645. Leica, OTOH, has some exciting new offerings.

>Contax has more bodies from which to choose. The focus assist on the RX is

>very useful feature. I'm surprised that it isn't offered on more Contax

>bodies, or that Leica doesn't incorporate something similar into their

>bodies. I like the RTSIII, and I like the R 6.2. Too bad they don't both

>have the same mount.

>The Contax 50/1.4 Planar and the 501/4 Summilux R offer a microcosm of the

>two lens lines. Compare cost, mechanics, and performance. They both have

>outstanding reputations.

>Dave

Jack Bowdle

Sr. District Sales Manager

<italic>Red Brick Systems, Inc</italic>.			voice: 253-941-5100

PO Box 54129	 				fax:   253-941-7442

Redondo, WA 98054-0129			email: jbowdle@redbrick.com

800-320-5181