Subject: RE: [Leica] CLA - Incredible Leicas -50 below!
From: "Tim Atherton" <timphoto@nt.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 12:09:07 -0700

T> Hi Tim,
>
> Whenever I work in the arctic my cameras are not out from under
> my oversize
> parka long enough to freeze-up. At least that's always the plan. :) The
> secret of keeping them running, lenses also, is how you carry them and you
> dress.

Ted,

I have done this as well, and it has also work. BUT, beware of body moisture
on the camera. Perspiration tends to migrate from your body to your parka.
Usually, this isn't a problem. But on a couple of occasions, after a little
exertion at these really low temperatures, I have taken the camera out and
it has frozen solid. On one occasion there was perspiration on the shutter
release and it froze solid.

You can't always win either way (the Inuit advice is don't exert yourself at
these temperatures, just move more slowly - perspiration soaked clothing is
a killer in such a situation).

Really, I think I should take up photography in a warmer climate!

Tim