Subject: [Leica] American cameras
From: "Dr James Harper" <DRJH@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 21:59:22 -0000

There is a question which has interested me or at least 55 years, when I
bought my first excellent Kodak Brownie Box.   But before asking it, I must
stress  that I am a total Americophile; I would rather that the UK became
the 51st (52nd?) State of the USA  than the 16th (20th?)  of the European
Union.  Indeed, I should  welcome it. This long introduction is simply   to
 confirm that  the question is quite objective. Anyway, here it is:

	Why is it that, with so much European influence and immigration, there is
no 	sought after American 35mm camera?  What went wrong?  Is it too late
now? 	Why rely on Europe?

Best wishes and many thanks for any enlightenment.

JH