Subject: Re: [Leica] My 135 Apo Telyt doesn't like my M3!!!
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 07:19:35 +0100

Dominique,

The reason I am fairly convinced that the lens is the problem is that tests with
the 50mm and 90mm lenses are sharp. At f2.8 and a distance of 1.7m, the DOF with
the 90mm lens is 6 cm, and at f1.4 with a 50mm lens the DOF is around 8 cm. Both
of those images were sharp, whereas the image shot at f5.6 at 2.5m with the 135
(where the DOF is 11 cm) is hopelessly soft. So my M3's rangefinder *appears* to
work fine with all other lenses except the 135mm.

Nathan

Dominique PELLISSIER wrote:

> But you wrote :" I am fairly convinced that the problem is with the lens,
> and hopefully the slides I am picking up tomorrow (with the 135 mounted on
> my M6) will prove it".That's not a scientific approach but an emotional
> one. You have not the result of the test but you are "fairly convinced
> that...".
> In your situation, I should ask Leica for an inspection of the set : M3 + 135.
> But before, maybe the RF has slightly got out of order. Note that the DOF
> at 3m and at full aperture is only 10cm with a 135. On your 1.4/50, in the
> same conditions :35 cm.
>
> Dominique Pellissier

- --
Nathan Wajsman