Subject: RE: [Leica] Leitz-Minolta CL
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 15:08:55 -0500

> My opinion is straightforward : if you want a leica in order to "shoot"
> jazz musicians, avoid the cl which is in my opinion a dog, manufactured by
> Minolta.Try to find a "true" Leica M.
>
> Dominique Pellissier

I, too, have owned CLs - a pair of them which I purchased used in the
mid-70s. I used them with a 35 Summicron and 90 Elmarit....I was young, my
eyes were good, and the results were terrific.

Yes, a CL you purchase now is a good 25 years old - but a IIIc that you
purchase now could be 50 years old!

If you can't afford an M, this is a good way to get into Leica photography.
With all due respect, Dominique, the attitude that the CL "is a dog"
manufactured by Minolta and is not a "true M" and should be avoided, is the
reason the attitude that will inevitably send Leica down the tubes and into
history. The company would do far better, and capture far more customers, if
it would manufacture a range of rangefinder bodies, from the Ms to something
like the CL, or like the Japanese screw mount that we are told is coming out
shortly. If Leica did that, they would attract more, young, users who don't
have the money to make the M plunge, but want to try rangefinder photography
and Leica.

B. D.