Subject: Re: [Leica] Leitz-Minolta CL
From: Dominique PELLISSIER <pelliss@droit-eco.univ-nancy2.fr>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 17:24:15 +0100

At 04:14 20/12/98 -0500, Rolf wrote :
>Hello,

I have the opportunity to purchase a Leitz-Minolta CL with 40/2 Rokkor lens
for $700. Both are in excellent condition.I am not a Leica user (yet) but
have been looking for a camera for street photography and available light
photography in jazz clubs.
A Leica M series seems to be the obvious choice for this sort of work, but
I am a student and cannot afford a new M6 body + lens. The used prices I
have seen for this equipment are also out of my price range. Would the CL
be an acceptable alternative from a user (not collector)
point of view, or should I wait until I can afford a M6?
The focal lengths I would be interested in using are 28, 35 (the 40 would
do), and 90. From what I have read, it
seems as though the camera would have no problems with a 90/4, but I am
wondering if there are any problems using a 28/2.8. I have read a favorable
review of the camera on http://www.cameraquest.com/leicacl.htm, but no one
else I know seems to have any more information on this camera.

>Any opinions would be appreciated.
>
>-Rolf

###########
Rolf, be careful if you want to buy an used leica cl.
Remember that the cl has been made from '73 till '75 !A 23-25 years (!) old
camera needs at least a check. Maybe a CLA. And "i was told that" many
problems happened with the cl (rf and cds meter)when it was marketed (see
below).
Ask for a warranty if you buy the camera in a store.
I had owned a 2nd hand cl in 1980 and I had the problems exposed above : a
rf which was often misaligned and an inaccurate meter.
Camera quest is a site for collectors not for users. So if they say that
the cl is a lovely body and blah, be careful.Collectors are not "objective".

My opinion is straightforward : if you want a leica in order to "shoot"
jazz musicians, avoid the cl which is in my opinion a dog, manufactured by
Minolta.Try to find a "true" Leica M.

Dominique Pellissier