Subject: Re: [Leica] Leitz-Minolta CL
From: Peterson_Art@hq.navsea.navy.mil
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 15:46:05 -0500

     Rolf,

     In some ways the CL is my favorite Leica.  It's really pocketable with
     its 40mm Summicron-C lens, and of course you can't get a picture if
     you haven't brought your camera with you.  That 40mm lens and the 90mm
     Elmar-C lens designed to go with it seem excellent to me (although if
     you want details of lines of resolution and such, you'll have to get
     that from someone else).  I happen to use the 90mm Tele-Elmarit (also
     out of production), which is equally lightweight, compact, and for my
     purposes satisfactory as a picture taker with the CL.  The CL has a
     wonderful spot meter (which, however, is of older, slower technology
     than the M6's meter and requires 1.35 volt batteries, but you can get
     around that problem with the C.R.I.S. voltage-adjusting insert and a
     standard #76, 1.5 volt, silver oxide battery); and it has a very handy
     edge-overhanging shutter-speed dial (and displays shutter speeds in
     the viewfinder).  Almost all the M lenses work perfectly well on the
     CL---the exceptions being older model 21mm and 28mm lenses with rear
     elements that extend back inordinately far and so interfere with the
     CL's meter arm; and for some reason I don't fathom, my pre-aspherical
     35mm Summicron will not mount on my CL, but so what---I've got the
     40mm!  Also, extreme wide apertures (like f/1.0 or f/1.4, or the 90mm
     f/2.0) provide too shallow a depth of field for the CL's shorter (than
     M) rangefinder baselength to focus accurately, but I've never had any
     problem focusing the 40mm f/2 or the 90mm f/2.8, and those lenses are
     fast enough for most purposes.  Finally, the CL is not as tank-like
     solid and rigid as the M6, but why should it be?  After all, it was
     designed to be a small, light camera, and you can't have you cake and
     eat it too!  In any case, the CL is plenty tough and well-made to be
     seen for what it is, a real Leica.  The CL was my entry into the Leica
     system, and I've always thought it a real, unique gem!

     Hope that helps,

     Art Peterson
     Alexandria, VA