Subject: RE: [Leica] Leitz-Minolta CL
From: Dominique PELLISSIER <pelliss@droit-eco.univ-nancy2.fr>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 22:53:09 +0100

B.D. Colen wrote :
>I, too, have owned CLs - a pair of them which I purchased used in the
>mid-70s. I used them with a 35 Summicron and 90 Elmarit....I was young, my
>eyes were good, and the results were terrific.
>
>Yes, a CL you purchase now is a good 25 years old - but a IIIc that you
>purchase now could be 50 years old!
>
>If you can't afford an M, this is a good way to get into Leica photography.
>With all due respect, Dominique, the attitude that the CL "is a dog"
>manufactured by Minolta and is not a "true M" and should be avoided, is the
>reason the attitude that will inevitably send Leica down the tubes and into
>history. The company would do far better, and capture far more customers, if
>it would manufacture a range of rangefinder bodies, from the Ms to something
>like the CL, or like the Japanese screw mount that we are told is coming out
>shortly. If Leica did that, they would attract more, young, users who don't
>have the money to make the M plunge, but want to try rangefinder photography
>and Leica.
>
>B. D.

I agree with you on that point : the CL, designed by Leica but made by
Minolta, would have been a good "first leica" for young people. But, in the
seventies, the reflex camera was so attractive...and less costly.
When I was young, I dreamed about a leica M and... I bought a Ricoh singlex.
I remember a leica ad in french cinemas : "one day, you'll get a Leica
too". It was in 1979 for the R3.
A dream is costless.An used camera which needs a CLA is a real nightmare.I
still remember when I received from Leica France the estimate of the CLA
for my CL.

Dominique