Subject: Re: [Leica] "standard camera"
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 06:58:45 EST

Alan and Steve:

I would like to offer a few comments on this subject if I may.

I own both R8 and F5 systems.  Both are fantastic as I am sure you already
know.  The reasons that I own both narrows down to speed and focus.  If the
photographs that I am going to take include moving objects I must use the F5
or I will be out-of-focus 50% of the time.  There are many LUGGERS that can
use their R8's on moving kids and remain in sharp focus, I can't.   Nikon
lenses are excellent.  I own the 20mm, 35-70 f2.8, 105 2.5,  70-300 ED Zoom
and a 500mm F8 Nikor Mirror lens.  I have owned the 80 200 F2.8 Ed that you
listed buy it was just too bulky and heavy for me.     I think that one can
distinguish photographs taken with the R8 because they have a more natural and
more appealing feel to them.   However, If I could only have one system it
would have to be the F5 because I can capture many more pictures with it and
own more lenses.  IF Leica had auto-focus there would be no choice.  The whole
purpose of photograpy to me is outcome.  With the declining yen the Nikon has
got to be one of the most appealing cameras in the world.  It's history for
ruggedness has been excellent.  I am on my second R8.

If you are like me you will labor on this decision.  You can't make a bad
decision between the two.

Bob Bedwell

<< Alan,

 Quite the response. Thank you. AND, after having slept on this decision, I
 am still inconclusive. From a pure monetary point of view, the Leica will
 hold its value better than an F5. Reasons are many. Primarily, the
 "depression" in Japan will drive the Nikon prices lower. I believe lots of
 folks have experienced this in price cuts. This is good for the buyer but
 not the owner. When the F5 came out wasn't it $2995.00. Now I see them for
 $1795. Leica is European and their currencies (soon to be only one, the
 Euro commencing in less than two weeks), remain strong in face of the high
 dollar, especially in light of its gold reserve. True that the R8 was
 higher upon its initial debut, but I sense the lowerings to be less. Yet I
 do sense a price erosion in the form of rebates and now new pricing.
 Currently an R-8 offers a $400 rebate until 12-31-98.

 The lens remains the modicum of visual experience with the Leica. Whereas
 with the Nikon, I too believe that the "gadget-factor" remains its
 principle alure. It is the fastest this, the most rugged that. Where rubber
 meets road though, you tell me which of the Nikkor lenses or Tamaron or
 others that fit the Nikon, stand head to head in bocah, image sharpness,
 color rendition. I have seen the quality on my R4s, on my M6 with the 50's,
 and with a 35/2.8 on the R4s. Surely, the Nikkor macro 105, the 60mm, and
 the 24/1.4, and the 80-200/2.8 can produce surreal pictures of friends,
 family, and fauna, but the Leica allure is strong and unmistakeable.

 Well here is where my decision stands:

 --not to buy anything.
 --buy a Noctilux or 70/1.4 for m6.
 --R-8 and 180/2.0 pre-APO.
 --Nikon F5 to use with existing lenses:24/2.8 and 50-300 F4.5.
 --Nikon F5 with Tamaron 28-105/2.8.
 --Nikon F5 with 80-200/2.8.

 Such problems, eh?

 What is your vote???