Subject: Re: [Leica] BEST WISHES AND TWO QUESTIONS
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 18:14:53 -0600 (CST)

Hi, Francesco

Well, I haven't used an R8, but it won't change my mind....what it
is, I'm sure, is an incredibly fine ELECTRONIC Slr, with the best
optics (esp.mechanically) in the world.  This is what ALL the Leica
reflexes are/were -- EXTREMELY fine instruments for the best
glass in the best mounts available.  Also, some of the finest
metering systems......   BUT!!!!

I am fundamentally a different kind of consumer/photographer.  I
prefer the LEAST in a machine of any kind.  In audio, I use homebrew
vacuum tube amplifiers with minimal componentry in the signal path.
In cars, I have a l962 truck and a simple, minimal Nissan four-banger--
and I wish I could take off 70% of its parts and still have it
run.   I use old Collins radio equipment.  So no, an R8 would be
my WORST nightmare in a camera, but this is not a criticism of those
who use/love them.....

In photography, I prefer a simple camera (an M body has too much
in it for me, but it's the least you can buy-- same with the
old standard prism Nikons-- take off the self-timer, MLU, MD coupling,
etc. and I'll be happier.  On the M4, get rid of the ST, Preview,
135 frame, 75mm if it has one (too long for 50, too short for 90!)
m-sync, auto reset frame counter, etc......... now you get the idea.

For meters, I like the old Spectra, Sekonic, etc. or (surprise!)
the Luna pro digital F!! --

I either use an incident meter (zone V on V - screw the rest) or if
I'm in a contemplative mood, the selective measurement of various
subject areas (most slr "spot" meters are WAY too wide to accomplish
this from shooting position).

Although not a problem with Leica (so far) -- any other Electronic
SLRs are at the mercy of their vendor's service -- and we know that
the major japanese mfgrs only support their products for 3-7 years
after they're discontinued.  The old ones can be nursed along much
easier by independent repair than the F4-EOS etc...... wait five
years and listen to nikon tell you they no longer "support" the F4-
or take your EOS 620 (the first "pro" body) in for repair in 2002!
see what they tell you.  I GUARANTEE my F/F2 will still be shooting
hundreds of rolls/ year then.

I believe that Leica still supports most all of the SLRs -- kudos to
them -- but IF they discontinue service on the R5 or IF they go
out of business, I'll still be getting service on my old Nikons
(if they ever fail in the first place).

I'm THOUROUGHLY impressed with the Leicas -- no finer feel/finish
in the business-- but with the CONSTANT complaints of owners on this
group and when I was in the sales business, I can't/won't consider
them one of the "finest" == all things considered......I don't believe
that Nikon F/F2 had a failure rate of more than 1-2% in the first
year or two of ownership (exc. possibly that damn photomic -- but
that ain't the camera I referred to anyway)

This is hardly a scientific survey, but it seem that with people
who actually use their Leicas, (this group) rather than putting
them in the closet, a significant number (20+ %) have problems
in the first year or two.......Both R-series and newer Ms --
I simply can't consider them "among the finest"....no matter
how they look/feel!!  But it's your money, and your hassle, and
I have no right to tell you how to spend it or criticize you for
doing so.  Different strokes/ different folks, and my position
is in the (admitted) EXTREME minority.  However, this group tends
to seek out the "finest"-- regardless of age and obsolescence --
therefore, I stick by my original post.

Happy tummy-stuffing days,
Walt in Denton

On