Subject: Re: [Leica] Question on the Metz 40 MZ-2
From: Christian Payot <christian.payot@span.ch>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 01:08:06 +0100

Pascal a écrit :

> I am currently using the Metz flash 32 MZ-3 with the SCA 3501 adaptor on
> my R8.
> While I do like this flash, I am somewhat disappointed that, in flash
> bouncing mode (with the head tilted upwards) the subject has some shadow
> because the light comes from above (ceiling) downwards.
> I saw in a Metz sales brochure that the 40 MZ-2 has two light sources:
> the main head which can be tilted, and a small fixed one underneath.
> Can this flash be recommended? Does anyone have any experience with it?
> Would I be well advised to trade in my 32 MZ-3 against a 40 MZ-2? Are
> there other features/issues I should be aware of?

I have the Metz flash 40 MZ-3 with a R8. I find the results absolutely
outstanding. In most cases, I use the R8 in P mode and the flash in bouncing
mode. I think that the presence of the second light source is THE
explanation of the quality of the pictures I get.
According to my limited experience, the second light source is the best
thing I have ever seen on a small flash system. I do not understand with
that solution is so rare.
I also have a Canon system with an equivalent flash (without the second
light source) : I get the same problems as you in my pictures...

Buying a 40MZ-3 is an excellent idea, but, IMHO it is not a very good idea
to trade your 32 MZ-3 against a 40 MZ-3i, because you coud use your 32 as
second (cordless TTL) flash with you R8... a dream flash system...

just my 0.0002$
Christian Payot