Subject: [Leica] was:Apples&Oranges, now Man. focus
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 18:10:45 -0800

Peter wrote:
>For action photographers, one autofocused Nikon or Canon photo that is in
>focus is far better than a crisp out of focus due to manual focusing Leica
>SLRs.  Hence the reason the Leica R8 is used by so few action photogs.

Hi Peter,

I always love a challenge! :)

If you have a copy of "75 Years of Leica Photography" have a look on page
280 from the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul, Korea.  Then tell me the Canon
is king.:)

This image was shot with a 280 2.8 hand held manual focus on a R7,
basically the R8 as far as manual focus goes. The race was 9.79 seconds
start to what you see at the finishline. Some of us are very very quick
action shooters with manual focus. Don't you just love it!:)

yep it's my picture. :)  what else can I say.:) :)

However, I'll give you your dues about the EOS1n autofcus Canon, as I've
used them for sports and yes they sure are whiz bang action auto focus
camera's.

I'm fast at manual focus, not as fast as I used to be but that's life, but
I have to give credit where credit is due and that Canon is very fast and
I'll admit ....faster than I am. :) But the only place I see any use for
autofocus is when shooting fast action sports, other than that autofocus
merely is a tinker toy add on for more profit to the manufacturers.

<<Hence the reason the Leica R8 is used by so few action photogs.>>>>>

At the moment I'd say that the lack of the "motor drive" is just as much a
reason as lack of autofocus. Although I really don't care if they ever have
autofcus or not. At the moment I have 3 motors on order to go with what
will be  2 more R8's when the motors are available. And yes with any kind
of orgaizational luck I'll be shooting the Summer Olympics in Australia in
the summer of 2000. And  yes I'll be using R8's with motors! :)    Hope to
meet you there. :)

In reality many of the auto everything cameras make for lazy photographers,
in the sense that many shoot in auto everything mode where the camera does
everything, all the photographer does is become a point and shoot artist.

This does not imply in any way that you are one of this type of
photographer. I am merely saying I've seen a great number of them work in
this point and shoot fashion and that's cool if that's their thing, but I
don't believe they put as much "eye thought" into the image as someone who
may work a tad slower with manual focus.

>Those that spent a ton of money on their R glass, enjoy.  For those of us
>that need the speed, albeit with glass that is only 95% as good, Canon will
>always be King.>>>>>>>>

Ok Ok that did it. King? :)  Prince maybe! :) :) Have a great New Year.

regards
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant