Subject: Re: [Leica] Apples and Oranges
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:57:36 -0800

John Doherty wrote:

>For many years before I could afford Leicas, I thought this mystique thing
>was a load of crap.  When I finally could afford some used equipment, I
>thought I saw something in pictures taken with the DR Summicron but felt it
>was probably just my imagination.>>>>>>>

Hi John,

Little did you know the Leica bug had bitten you at the moment. :) There is
no cure for it. The medical profession has tried to find a cure for years,
unfortunately doctors also become infected and carry it for the rest of
their days. :)

<<<<<This year I could afford the 35 Summilux ASPH.  and took B&W pictures
of my 30 minute old grandson.  I have never taken pictures like this
before.  I have rarely seen pictures like this before. I don't think I will
ever buy anything but Leica lenses again. >>>>>>>

Now look at what the bug has done, a new 35 aspherical, a new grandson,
incredible photographs the likes you've never done nor seen before. :) And
the bug bite will just get worse as time goes by!:)  Oh man you are hooked
to the bottom of your wallet! :)

<<<Of  course I may have been a bit emotionally involved in this case but
the same result happens roll after roll.>>>>>>

We'll give you a touch of being "emotionaly involved." That's a given for a
new grandpa.  The really neat part is, you now have a built in model to use
that Leica on for a very long time year after year.

<<<<<>I am actually considering limiting my photography to newborns in dark
hospital corridors in the middle of the night !  Not many people do this
I'm
sure>>>>>>>

Well that's true.

However, how many times would you like to get the "2 a.m." wake-up call.

"Hi Mr. Doherty, Mrs. Smith is just about to pop, you better get right over
here!"   You leap out of bed, jump in the clothes grab the camera bag, out
the door into the car, drive like mad to the hospital, run up the stairs
two steps at a time, reach the birthing room, arriving breathing so hard
you think your lungs are going to pop.

Near exhaustion you recognize the delivery room nurse,  "Gee Mr. Doherty
you just missed it!" She smiles and continues into the night.  You?  You're
looking for a bed to get a rest before you drive back home to go back to
bed! ! :)

And John, that's why there isn't any competition! :)

Having photographed not only three of my grandchidren arriving, also
countless others so let me assure you,  "Stick to the arrival of your grand
children!" :) Far more interesting. :)

<<<<so there would be little competition and I might make enough money to
>buy the 24 ASPH Erwin just recommended, and then I'll buy ...., and then
>I'll buy..>>>>>>>>

About the money part? You'll be so emotionally cranked at each birthing,
that when the little critter arrives in the world, you'll forget about the
money. However, you'll still buy the lens, 'Cause man, you are bitten and
smitten!:)

The best of the New Year to your grandson, yourself and family. Have a good one
With lots of new Leica images of the baby.:)
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant