Subject: Re: [Leica] Apples and Oranges, cromlech and soccer
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 07:53:56 -0800

Dominique Pellissier wrote:
>##############
>I agree with you. A Leica R camera is perfectly adapted to photograph
>cromlechs, not soccer players.
>This afternoon, I've tried to photograph, for the first time in my life, a
>soccer match with my R4s2 without motor. A disaster. Moreover without
>autofocus, I was unable to shoot at the right moment.
>I think I'm going to return to the cromlech...>>>>>

Hi Dominiquue,

Au contraire mon ami,.! OK my French isn't that great. :) However, your
error is not going to another match, another match, another match, another
match, another match!:) And has absolutely nothing to do with the camera
"YOU" were operating.

Considering you said, "I've tried to photograph, for the first time in my
life, a soccer match with my R4s2 without motor. A disaster.>>>>>>

Well doesn't that in it's self, "the first time" almost spell disaster?
Please keep in mind 50 years ago or less we shot football, soccor,
baseball, the Olympics, Le Mans and used 4X5 speed graphics.....Or Leica's!
And captured brilliant stopped action in focus images.  Motor drives were
something in automobiles and auto focus was something your eyes did
automatically. :)

You are giving-up too easily. Shooting sports, particularly soccer is a
tough subject whether you use auto focus or not. I know a number of news
guys shooting sports who _____turn off the auto focus!_______ I bet that's
a surprise to the folks saying auto focus is the be all to end all for
shooting sports or any action.

I don't think you have been fair to yourself nor the camera to give in and

Be a good sport, get back in the game and shoot a dozen matches. Then come
back and tell us how you're doing, I bet you'll find it's a whole new
picture taking ball game.:)

Shooting with a 4X5 Speed Graphic and follow focusing is something akin to
driving a Mac truck in the Indy 500 car race chasing Mario Andretti.:) Now
that's an adventure in it's self.:) And you shot "one sheet" of film at a
time!:)
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant