Subject: Re: [Leica] Apples and Oranges
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 11:29:20 -0500

Pascal-
I guess I am a child of another age! Yes, I forgot that a focus confirmation
would be helpful, but like you, I learned to 'zone'focus  thirty years ago,
and it became habit- or at least 'second nature', and I do it without really
thinking about it. I also forget to take a light meter with me, but still
feel pretty confident shooting print film using the Sunny 16 rule, or even
the Dim f2 at 1/30th Second Rule...
I can see why many photography teachers insist their students use manual
cameras, but unfortunately the excercise is futile- the students can't wait
to get to the automatic stuff! They feel it 'helps' them, and they never
really get a feel for the manual mode lifestyle. Fortunately, I photograph
for my own pleasure so I don't need or use an autofocus- and I admit freely
that I've had them- several Minoltas and even a Leica P&S- so they have been
sold or given away.
But you are right, even a confirmation gadget would be handy- especially
with the 28mm Elmarit-R!
Dan- Through a glass, darkly
dwpost@msn.com