Subject: Re: [Leica] Walt's Humble Opinion, was: Apples and Oranges
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 12:05:21 -0600 (CST)

Respectfully submitted by Walt:

>BULLSHIT< !!!!

Pentax produced the K1000 for many years after discontinuing the
Spotmatic and K-line....until the tooling wore out and was
uneconomical to reproduce......but until then, the mechanical
complexity and quality of workmanship was VERY Leica-like...I know,
I worked on both for years....No, it wasn't worth continuing a
$200 camera......but for $800, Pentax would churn out K-1000s forever.

The leica M-body remains 90% the same for 40 years.......they
could damn sure produce an M4-something for $800 and make a profit.
No ST, no PV, (already) cheapened RFDR -- What the hell is so
"special" about building an M that's different from a K1000?
Put Polycarbonate covers on the damn thing, if that's the problem...
and for god's sake, put titanium curtains in the f****** things,
all of 'em.   Don't give me the shit about the RFDR and final
adjustment.....the parts can be produced just like any other machine
parts and the adjustment on new ones is so poor that I could contract
my 78 year old mother and my 8 year old daughter to do the QC----
with considerable improvement over current production.  The precision
is in the final adjustment.....MANY companies have produced damn
fine parts and a simple, reliable three-axis focal-plane shutter is
now a textbook design.

For example:  how many new Ms are sold per day in the US?  I make
about $30,000 a year.  If you sent me completed but non-adjusted
RFDR/Shutter Ms, with the covers off, I guarantee I can adjust the
RFDRs and shutters on 10-15 per EASY day's work....at least far better
than what we're getting off the line.....at 200 work days per
year (about what I do) how much is your cost per camera?  How many
fair/mediocre techs do they have working?  (an honest brainstorm, I
don't have the answer.)

No, economics don't explain it away......the Pentax K1000 (or their
new one, whatever it's called) and the Nikon FM-2, and the Olympus
OM-whatever all are as "complex" as an M -- they ain't too damn
complicated.  As for the metering, that cheap assed little
Cosina/Nikon FM-10 has the same metering......and IT has to index
the maximum/taking aperture of the lens!!! (as do all the others)
The damn M6 meters STOPPED DOWN!!! with a FIXED cell on a damn little
spot on the first curtain.....only ISO/ASA and Speed need to be
entered into the equation.......and all the others learned how to
combine the SS/ASA dial so that ONE variable resistance value combined
both ISO/SS information!!!  that leaves only F-stop, and the damn
thing meters STOPPED DOWN!!! ---Leica "engineering"???  They're
about 25 years late with that BS, as usual......

The only justification for these prices is superb finish and final
assembly/adjustment......the first slipped drastically to BELOW
japanese standards 20 years ago, and the latter is nonexistent,
even when compared to a K-1000......check the speeds, accuracy of
focus, and parallelism of curtain bars on 100 Pentaxes and 100
out-of-the-box Ms from the last few years......
I could see these prices for the fit, finish, and finesse on the
late M3-earlyM4 PLUS inflation......they'd be a bargain.....but
that's NOT what we're getting.  Nice, but not up to that standard.

I'd take my M4 out on a job by itself.......but I ain't taking
the M4P or M6 >without< the M4 as a backup......don't trust 'em.

So I've vented again,
Cheers,
Walt

On