Subject: Re: [Leica] WTB User M2
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 09:42:24 -0600 (CST)

Jesus, I wish I'd started an INTERESTING thread instead of this
BS.....I realize that your "questions" were in fact more flame bait,
but here goes:
1: Leica Geeks vary...we all suffer from the malady at times...
   you know who/when you are being one.......
2: No, you DON't have to have a ser.# to report it stolen....and
   you DON"T have to have a # to get it back....cops ask, and then
   make you feel dumb for NOT having it, but I've had gear stolen and
   found and reclaimed without numbers....damn lucky, and stupid,
   but I'm both at times.  Now I have numbers on all Leica, but
   not old Nikons -- again, stupid.  Bear in mind that I used to
   USE cameras, (not a Geek)...now that I'm mostly sitting on my
   ass not shooting, and not swapping as much gear, it's less of
   a problem (I hope...)
3: If you have homeowner's insurance, and no receipts/numbers,
   make sure an acquaintance (not family) has a mental inventory
   of your stuff...that, plus a good agent, will usually suffice
   for proof of ownership.....BTW, stable, employed homeowners get
   BETTER consideration from said companies upon loss than transient/
   student/renter journalist types....EXPERIENCE speaks here...
4: Keep your numbers/receipts if you have them/video or stills
   of your gear on the kitchen table, etc...to make your life
   simpler in times of loss....BUT if you're lazy/irresponsible
   as MOST of us are (probably less than 50% of Leica owners
   have these things, and probably fewer than 20% of non-Leica
   camera owners do) you STILL have a chance......regardless
   of what the lawyers/cops say, you CAN OWN GEAR without numbers
   and receipts --- but if you or you surroundings "look suspicious"
   expect some raised eyebrows and insulting questions....again,
   Now that I'm gray/bald and 40, living in an ULTRA conservative
   older neighborhood (I'm the youngest on the block) and driving
   a pickup and an economy car, I'd expect/get FAR fewer hassles
   than when I was a PJ-hellraiser in a sports car with a near-
   afro smelling like booze with an F-U attitude!  Try it if you
   don't believe it......I'm still the same asshole, it's just the
   "appearances" that matter.
5: I've had mostly bad experiences dealing with cops (as an owner,
   I've never been a thief) and good experiences with insurance
   companies....haven't had a camera theft in YEARS, but did
   have a nice bicycle stolen from my garage (my fault, no lock,
   door open).  Wasn't enough money to try insurance, but as usual,
   took two days to GET a cop on the non-emergency number -- then
   was chastised a bit and nothing else came of it....oh well.

Happy New Year, try to be smarter than me,

Walt

On