Subject: Re: [Leica] Bruce Davidson exhibit + Comment
From: FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 20:53:52 EST

csocolow@microserve.net writes:

<< You perceptively picked up my point. Nowadays everyone feels they need
built in
 metering and ultra-fast and/or aspheric optics. Certainly these are creature
 comforts and they do make life easier. I appreciate the convenience of my M6
but
 still use and enjoy working with my M2 and M3 in all their stone-age
meterless >>

Very good point and well-stated. That's why I mentioned to Ted that I really
do not understand these arguments. I have lenses and bodies that range in age
from 30 years to latest design. They all produce wonderful images if I "do it
right." My wife refuses to wear glasses so her photos are often not in the
best of focus. She now uses an autofocus camera and some shots are still out
of focus. Autofocus does not always guarantee that what you want will be in
focus (mentioned here many times).

OTH, I usually can keep up with most moving objects if I need to. However
fatigue can set in and I can understand why the working photographer may bless
the day autofocus was refined. However look back in the photo mags when
autofocus was released into the photo world and see the response of the pros.
Autofocus was for the unwashed masses back then - not so long ago.

Best,
Bob Figlio