Subject: Re: [Leica] Bruce Davidson exhibit + Comment
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 20:23:46 -0500

Walter S Delesandri wrote:

> Just wondering, what was "stone-aged" about a Leica M2,
> 35 summicron, and tri-x in UFG, printed on Medalist with
> a focomat 1a?  I'm guessing that this was his equipment,
> at least could have been! (or perhaps a Contax IIIA, 50 1.5, etc?
> Nikon S2, 50 1.4 Nikkor?) I've used ALL these pieces in
> the last few years with results EXACTLY the same as the
> M-6 (R-8) would have done!  I only lacked Bruce's eye/location/etc>
> Or did I?
>
> Walter,

You perceptively picked up my point. Nowadays everyone feels they need built in
metering and ultra-fast and/or aspheric optics. Certainly these are creature
comforts and they do make life easier. I appreciate the convenience of my M6 but
still use and enjoy working with my M2 and M3 in all their stone-age meterless
glory. Sure, I wouldn't mind something faster than my 35 Summicron but it works for
me. So does the 50 Summilux. I can handhold to 1/4 sec with 50+% or better results.
The trick (having done enough news photography and more than enough commercial work)
is to use your skills, abilities and resources to overcome whatever the perceived
limitations of your equipment. As I'm sure you'll agree Walter, you can't pass up a
good photo just because you think your equipment can't handle it. You go for it, use
your knowledge, and hope you got it. The better and more experienced you become the
more likely you are to succeed. The more you screw it up, the more likely will learn
by your mistake and apply that knowledge to becoming better and more experienced. I
have been behind viewfinders for almost 29 years and that represents a lot of film
over the dam (sorry for mixed metaphor- not!). It's the only way to get better.
Anyway, check out the Davidson work if you have the chance.
http://www.icp.org/exhibitions/davidson/index.html

Carl Socolow