Subject: [Leica] Re: zorkis
From: Summicron1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 19:45:55 EST

<<From: Kent Jon Peters <KPETERS@huntel.net>

Subject: [Leica] Leica copy Zorki

I just purchased a "Leica Copy" Zorki (I guess it's a loose copy of a

Leica II-- this particular camera).  Haven't got it yet, but was

wondering if anyone ever uses these "copies" as inexpensive second

bodies for SM Leica lenses.  Thought this would be  an interesting

thought... Also wondering, is anyone else collecting these dogs????

kent

you can use lieca lenses on them, but be advised the Russian/Ukranian quality
controls are not what you are used to, so I would test them for infinity focus
before depending on them.

I have several Russian Leica "copies," a Zorki 4 that is a piece of crap, and
a Fed 1 that is a reasonable copy of a Lieca II but not as smoothly operating,
although a reasonably good machine. Actually, I got pretty goodpictures with
the Jupiter lens on it. The Zorki 4 is a dog, but the Fed is pretty good, all
things considered.

But that's for the 1950s versions. The currently sold Russian "Leica copies"
are really just cheaply made rangefinder cameras that happen to use a Leica
thread lens mount. They are garbage.

ctRentelma
Ogden Uta