Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Weston Master V
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:10:18 -0500

At 02:38 PM 1999-01-14 -0800, Jim Brick wrote:
>I have a drawer full of non working Weston Master meters. But my Sekonic
>Studio Deluxe and Pentax Spot meter, bought at the same time as the first
>Weston Master, is still going strong. I will never fix these Westons. I
>cannot conceive of a possible use for them nowadays.

Well, the simple reality is that selenium matches the response pattern of
photographic emulsions more closely than do later chemical formulations, so
there is the big reason.  Westons are immensely easy to find, are quite
inexpensive, and are readily repaired and calibrated.

My father bought a 735 in 1939.  I still have it today, and it is still my
standard meter.  (Sure, sure, I have more modern ones -- but the damn
batteries are always dying on me.)

Vivat Weston!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315