Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux fever
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 23:43:14 -0700

"Robert G. Stevens" wrote:

> Mark:
>
> Look at my Noctilux pictures on my home page:
>
> http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/index.htm
>
> The Lady with the Cuban Cigar (Montecristo) was shot at 1/30th at F1 using
> Tmax P3200 at EI 1600.  This could have been done with a slower lens, but
> would have more camera shake.  The Noctilux also gives a smooth rendition
> of her skin.  The two pictures of Boyd and Bruce were taken in a dimly lit
> boathouse with harsh light coming in the windows behind Boyd and Bruce.
> There is no flare and great detail in the shadows and highlights.  You can
> count the hairs on Boyds head and even do a thread count on his black
> sweater. Now thats shadow detail while maintaining the highlights.  Shot
> with Tmax 100 at 1.4.  The Noctilux is superior here in flare suppression
> and shadow detail than the Summilux.  The bottom picture of the baby on the
> lawn chair was on APX25 and at F1.  It is very sharp with a great blurred
> background and illustrates the effect of shallow depth of field and slow
> fine grained film.
>
> As for the cost of a Noctilux, good used ones can be had for about $1,600,
> which is not much more than the cost of a new Summicron.  Most of the used
> Noctiluxes are like new because, as Mark says, some owners never use them
> to their potential and eventually sell them after they sit unused for a while.
>
> Regards,
>
> Robert Stevens

Robert:
That shot of the baby on the swing sure turns my head around, a
superlative shot. I'll admit I was wrong on the Noct. being stupid to
use with slower films. The effect of extreme lack of depth of field and
the quality of the lens is easily seen more-so with the tmax 100 and
apx25, very impressive. The shot of Boyd with the glass in hand bright
and soft in the foreground you might darken a mite, I think your eye
goes there first. Other shots with the high speed films as you indicate
show a excellent use or justification of the lens. The Focusing system
of the Leica as well as your own eye is extremely impressive. But I
think to appreciate the lens to its full value you should shoot or show
us some stuff taken outdoors at night, under street lamps, backlit or
rim lit, with lights in or just out of the picture. I think that is very
much what this lens is all. But I think your shots at dusk and indoors
in low light are quite impressive. Thank you. My need for the Noct. lens
has been upgrade by a lot.
I'm under the impression the newer ones are quite a bit better, is yours
older or newer?
Mark Rabiner