Subject: Re: [Leica] Trying to figure out the way to get better deals!
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 16:27:33 -0400

Claude:

You are obviously a Civil servant used to such deals.  I used to work for
an oil company and we called these "groupie discounts".  Shell Oil started
offering to home heating customers who were members of a medical society a
four cent per litre discount on oil, then the Public service got in on it,
next the Universities, then unions, then other such groups.  Eventually you
began to realize that in Halifax at least, pretty well everybody or their
spouse is either connected to the goverment, a union, University, Military,
and etc.  In the end it just depressed the retail margins for the oil
companies and didn't gain them any more customers.

Leica would be stupid to even think about doing such a thing.  All somebody
would have to do is subscribe to this non exclusive list to get a discount.
 They would not make any more sales as a result, but just end up making
less money.

Regards,

Robert