Subject: [Leica] Awesome Leica Canada service
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 20:02:09 -0400

LUG Members:

There has been so much negative said about Leica service in the past that I
had to let you know about my experience.  Just a day before my wife had her
baby, a used M4-P with 50mm Summicron arrived.  The camera seemed to be in
excellent shape, but the finder needed cleaning.  So after using it for the
Baby pictures, along with the M6, I decided to send it off to Leica Canada,
Kindermann, for a CLA.

I also have a R8 I got used a few months ago which was near the end of its
warranty. It had the frame counter reset on me one cold day when using it
outdoors and rubbing aginst my nylon jacket.  This is a common problem with
the R8's and the fix is the installation of some more static electricity
protection.  I also had a month old winder for the R8 which was starting to
show some signs of the paint peeling.  I sent the winder along so that they
could either repaint it or replace it.

It is twelve days later now, and when I called Kindermann to get a price on
a CLA to a M3 I just got today, they told me the M4-P was done, the upgrade
done to the R8, and the winder was replaced.  This was much better service
than I would have expected, especially considering the Toronto area has
been pretty well shut down under heavy snowfall for the last week.

I highly recommend Kindermann-Leica ,(905) 479-0167, for their fast and
efficient service.  Any LUG member should not hesitate contacting them for
repairs of any of their Leicas.  Kindermann is also Leicas only authorized
repair facility for screwmount cameras in the world, other than Solms.
Leica NJ does not even have this distinction.  Remember, screw mount and M
mount Leicas were made in Canada, along with some fine lenses.  My M4-P may
have been CLA'd by the person that built it!

Regards,

Robert Stevens