Subject: [Leica] Ted's Ben Johnson image
From: Jim Hurtubise <jim@inap.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 17:22:14 +0000

Ted,

Wow, I didn't know you took that shot of Ben Johnson at the Seoul Olympics,
fabulous! Your mention of that event brought back some memories. In a time when
a Presidential impeachment trial barely gets people up off their couches, I
don't think I can recall an event that affected an entire nations psyche as
much as Ben Johnsons olympic glory and eventual downfall. I was living in
Toronto at the time, and a number of us had gathered in what amounted to
Canadas version of the Super Bowl party. I really don't think Americans can
comprehend the joy the Canadians felt after his victory, not only was it a
major sporting event and world record, but he beat a legendary athlete, Carl
Lewis, an American from Canadas friendly rival and giant to the south. Only
days later it was a complete shift in mood as Johnson was stripped of his medal
after a positive drug test. The office I worked in was like a funeral. Ted, you
truly captured a piece of Canadian history.

Best Regards
Jim Hurtubise