Subject: Re: [Leica] Ted's Ben Johnson image
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 16:34:27 -0800

Jim Hurtubise wrote:

>Wow, I didn't know you took that shot of Ben Johnson at the Seoul Olympics,
>fabulous! Your mention of that event brought back some memories. I was
>living in Toronto at the time,. The office I worked in was like a funeral.
>Ted, you
>truly captured a piece of Canadian history.>>>>>>>

Hi Jim,

Thanks very much for the compliment, much appreciated. If you folks were in
a funeral state, I can't write here what I wanted to do to Johnson, but
lets say it wasn't very complimentary! :)

The moment the editor saw the image it was automatically slated for the
cover of Champion magazine as the symbol of what the '88 Olympics were all
about, the 100 meter race between Ben Johnson and Carl Lewis.

When he was caught the image was off the cover immediately and only used
after great soul searching by the editorial staff, where they ran it inside
about 2" X 3". Because the magazine is the official publication of the COA
they could hardly use the picture on the cover after Johnson so humiliated
Canada.

So my R4, 280mm 2.8 hand held image gets use every once in a while. It's
real recognition has come through the National Archives of Canada in one of
their main publications . Also in the Leica book, "75 Years of Leica
Photography"

I thought the placing of the image in the Leica book was rather interesting
as I used the 280mm 2.8 to make the frame, Leica printed the image on page
280! :)

By accident or planned? :)

Send me your snail mail address by private post and and I'll mail you a
signed colour print.
regards,
ted

Ted Grant