Subject: [Leica] How does this Focomat 1c enlarger work?
From: Ken Benderly <benderly@vcd.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:08:12 -0800

I got my focomat 1c yesterday, but I can't quite figure out how it works.  First
I should mention that it came with a 50/4.5 leitz lens.  This will work, won't
it?

One thing that I'm really not sure about is the anti-newton glass stuff.  I had
assumed that the negative "carrier" would have glass it the hole where the light
passes through, and the slab o' glass would sandwich the negative from above.
The carrier, more like holder, has an empty hole in it, and the slab o' glass,
the condenser lens I assume, comes down and flattens the negative against the
carrier.  I also noticed a separate piece of glass with an interesting texture,
but optically correct, that fits quite nicely on the bottom of the slab o' glass
(condenser lens?).  Is this the anti-newton glass?  How does the silver lever on
the right work (moves slab up and down)?

Assuming I've got the paragraph above correct, how do I focus?  An easel didn't
come with the enlarger.  I assume that I've got to dial in the system for the
easel that I will be using.  What are the steps for this?  Is there a way to
manually focus?  Is there a manual for this beauty?

kb