Subject: Re: [Leica] How does this Focomat 1c enlarger work?
From: Tord-Rikard Söderström <ridsom97@student.umu.se>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 19:04:37 +0100

At 09:08 1999-01-26 -0800, you wrote:
>I got my focomat 1c yesterday, but I can't quite figure out how it works.
First
>I should mention that it came with a 50/4.5 leitz lens.  This will work,
won't
>it?

this lens is the Focotar 50/4.5 and it will work more than fine

>One thing that I'm really not sure about is the anti-newton glass stuff.
I had
>assumed that the negative "carrier" would have glass it the hole where the
light
>passes through, and the slab o' glass would sandwich the negative from
above.
>The carrier, more like holder, has an empty hole in it, and the slab o'
glass,
>the condenser lens I assume, comes down and flattens the negative against the
>carrier.  I also noticed a separate piece of glass with an interesting
texture,
>but optically correct, that fits quite nicely on the bottom of the slab o'
glass
>(condenser lens?).  Is this the anti-newton glass?  How does the silver
lever on
>the right work (moves slab up and down)?

Yes; above the lens carrier sits the Anti Newton Lens, if you have it and
you seem
to have it, this glass should be removable

>Assuming I've got the paragraph above correct, how do I focus?  An easel
didn't
>come with the enlarger.  I assume that I've got to dial in the system for the
>easel that I will be using.  What are the steps for this?  Is there a way to
>manually focus?  Is there a manual for this beauty?

This beauty is Auto Focusing as you sure know, you will have to calibrate the
focusing by lower or heighten the projector head and observing the focusing
whit
a akrioscope, or as i assume calibrating the auto focus which don´t seem to
be
so easy, my Focotar Ic is kind of broken on this account and would sure
need
some kind of help

Hope your Focotar will bring you some joy my hasn't yet done this (because
the AF and that i have
collected a Durst M605 color )